Wednesday, March 30, 2011

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly, which my father bought for two zuzim

I would never convert; I am very firmly a Christian. However, I have just decided that Judaism is amazing.



Did you know they have their own very ancient version of 'There was an old lady who swallowed a fly'? But instead it's about one little goat, one little goat, which my father bought for two zuzim. And then the cat came and ate the goat, which my father bought for two zuzim. And then the dog came, which bit the cat, which ate the goat, which my father bought for two zuzim. This goes on and on, as I'm sure you can imagine, finally culminating in:

One little goat, one little goat,
Then came the Holy One, Blessed be He,
and smote the angel of death,
who slew the slaughterer,
who killed the ox,
that drank the water,
that extinguished the fire,
that burned the stick,
that beat the dog,
that bit the cat,
that ate the goat,
which my father bought for two zuzim.

The best thing? They sing it every passover. Every year! Can you imagine? All I have to do is work out a Christianity (Twelve drummers drumming, eleven pipers piping, ten lords-a-leaping, nine ladies dancing, eight maids-a-milking, seven swans-a-swimming, six geese-a-laying, FIIIIIVE. GOLDEN RINGS. Fourcallingbirds threefrenchhens twoturtledoves AND A PARTIDGE IN A PEAR TREE) /Judaism religion where I can also sing the repetitive song about the lady and her fly and the song that never ends, and I will be happy forever.

And also have no friends.

Psht. Details.

2 comments:

Mrs Terror-in-waiting said...

Surely there's a flaw in this tale of woe? I once had a really big cat. He was REALLY big, a breed of American farm cat which is the size of your average pony. Anyway, even that cat never attempted to eat a whole goat... however many zuzim it cost.

Joby said...

There is also 'Who Knows One?' which gets sung at the same time. Same principle.

There's also a really extensive debate at the Seder about how many plagues there really were. Final answer is actually 250. Also, starting at Passover, there's a count of 49 days, with a special blessing each night for the count.

Judaism is a religion that likes numbers. And songs.